Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Thought for the Day (reflections from the cruise)

Good morning, all.

We all had a wonderful time on the cruise. Thanks is especially due to Sis. Alma Campbell for her diligence in putting this wonderful event together! I had time to rest, think and reflect. I did what I enjoy most - read. I was given space and quiet for the most part, which I value highly. I was "off duty" last week. One of my students described it well, she described me as "selectively social." I am grateful to the members of Memorial for the understanding of that which most of you showed.

Well, one day on the cruise, I got up early and went to the deck of the ship. I looked out over the expanse of water that was before me - an awesome sight. It was not intimidating to me at all, in fact it was quite soothing and reassuring. That was because I thought of this song that I learned when I was a child, which described more than adequately what I felt and sensed at that moment. The thought comforts me even now.

Reflect on this song, sing along if you like, and be blessed today in this knowledge.

Click here: Oremus Hymnal: There's a wideness in God's mercy

There's a wideness in God's mercy like the wideness of the sea;
There's a kindness in his justice, which is more than liberty.
There is welcome for the sinner, and more graces for the good;
There is mercy with the Savior; there is healing in his blood.

There is no place where earth's sorrows are more felt than in heaven;
There is no place where earth's failings have such kind judgment given.
There is plentiful redemption in the blood that has been shed;
There is joy for all the members in the sorrows of the Head.

For the love of God is broader than the measure of man's mind;
And the heart of the Eternal is most wonderfully kind.
If our love were but more faithful, we should take him at his word;
And our life would be thanksgiving for the goodness of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment